My Stimulus and Further Research



 

I have chosen to go with a psychopathic concept / interpretation of the Glam Jail illustration, where I will depict and explore the mind of a psychopath and why they became like that, referencing themes of juxtapositions (of personalities), gender stereotypes and also isolation. The photo drew me in and inspired me to incorporate themes of gender stereotypes (as the person can be either gender) and juxtapositions (due to the two distinctive colours in the photo) as well as making me feel contrasted feelings. I felt sympathetic for the person as they are clearly restricted within this cell and appear lonesome, however I also felt antipathetic towards the photo as I felt it was quite sinister and strange.

My aim for the choreography is to take the audience through the lens of the photo, with our inspiration of John Wayne Gacy and psychopathic mentalities implemented into this to support our intentions. I hope to guide the audience through the photo, where it starts with the first impressions / judgement of the photo - here I want to explore movement that demonstrates the theme of isolation and human captivity (referencing the jail cell the person is in) perhaps evoking a sense of sympathy from our audience. As the choreography begins to unfold, the movement starts juxtaposing this theme and the choreography starts to represent the true nature of the character I have created to demonstrate the authentic personality on the inside. I really took inspiration here from the John Wayne Gacy case, who dressed as a clown and entertained at children’s parties. It is said he was thought highly of by his neighbourhood and community, but underneath those layers revealed a monster in which he turned out to be a serial killer. We liked the idea of first impressions being different to what’s inside (hence why I researched John Wayne Gacy) as I feel I can draw inspiration for our movement from this infamous case. With regards to the picture, as the choreography unfolds I want the audience to feel like they are zooming in and taking a more three dimensional approach to the photo to inevitably uncover the real personality. Here the intention switches, in which I want to hopefully emit a sense of antipathy from the audience, as the choreography unfolds the maniacal and horrific nature which juxtaposes that of the vulnerable and sympathetic nature I explore initially. I aim to embed lots of motif developments such as embellishments, imagery, differing dynamics and changing spatial relationships and pathways to show the development of the personality (how they appear first is massively contrasting to what their true self is on the inside). Clear motifs with clear developments and enhancements will successfully achieve this for our audience.

Bibliography: John Wayne Gacy (2021). Crime Museum (online) available at John Wayne Gacy - Crime Museum [accessed 15th October 2021]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Critique 2 - Akram Khan: Dust

My Chosen Practitioner

A Critique of Justin Peck's "In the Countenance of Kings"